Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Day 1

Starting a journey toward life improvement is probably one of the most daunting tasks a person can face.  They set them up to experience set backs, possible failure, unexpected results, and so on.  I can think of so many times I have tried to change and failed, so when I decided it was time for a lifestyle change I was nervous.  Am I really up for the challenge?  I have decided that yes, in fact, I am ready.

My sister in law, Tiffany, told me about this 24 day challenge that is geared toward jump starting your weight loss.  I could use a kick in the pants, so I decided to go for it.  This challenge consists of a specific nutrition plan, and taking supplements to help along the way.  I know this sounds like a fad diet, and I am not going to try to convince you that it is not.  I don't have to.  I decided this is the right choice for me.  Moving on....

Yesterday was the beginning of my journey.  I wasn't sure I would make it through the day.  I questioned even starting something like this right now.  You see I am in the middle of a family crisis, and I thought adding this to the mix was a recipe for failure.  But then the calm rational side of me reminded the irrational side that there will always be a reason to put off life.  I have come to realize that I haven't been living for quite some time.  I have focused on feeding myself, and doing as little as possible to maintain my incredibly unhealthy lifestyle.  I have made excuses for my poor eating choices like, "We might as well get fast food for dinner because my husband likes it better than my food," or, "I have worked to hard today and am too tired to make dinner."  Another is, "I don't want to get up early to worry about packing a lunch for work, I will go out..."  These are just a few of the "gateway" statements I tell myself before ordering a super jumbo sized meal, and an ice cream dessert.  I look at myself, and there is no hiding what I have done to this body of mine.  Everyone else can see it too.  I'm fat.  There are more politically correct ways of saying that, but I don't see how they help the situation.  So, I made it through day 1.  I drank a ton of water, enjoyed my fruits and veggies, ate lots of protein, and I went to bed satisfied with myself for not giving up.  I even went through all of the product in the house and prepared it so it will be easy to grab and go with.  I am not saying that I am perfect, or even a model of healthy living.  I am far from it.  But I began a journey to take my life back yesterday.  I ate good healthy foods, and I didn't give up on myself, even in the face of adversity. Today is a new day with new challenges.  I will take things one day at a time.  I can master this.  I can fix me.  I know that there is a long road ahead before completing this journey, but I can't worry about tomorrow.  I will worry about today and make sure it is the best day possible.

"In reality, there aren’t many things in a day that are totally without significance. Even the mundane and repetitious can be tiny but significant building blocks that in time establish the discipline and character and order needed to realize our plans and dreams. Therefore, as you ask in prayer for your daily bread, consider thoughtfully your needs—both what you may lack and what you must protect against. As you retire to bed, think about the successes and failures of the day and what will make the next day a little better. And thank your Heavenly Father for the manna He has placed along your path that sustained you through the day."
—D. Todd Christofferson

4 comments:

  1. You made it! Day 1 is hard. But you made it! And you made good choices while life moved along with you. Life doesn't stop and wait for us to get ourselves sorted and figured out and organized. So being able to climb the hills and keep going no matter what, pick ourselves back up when we trip and fall-that's huge! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to be, Joanne.
    Debra and I recently underwent a lifestyle change in an effort to become more healthy for our family(different program, but hopefully similar results: healthier happier us!)and I feel your struggles in making it through the first few days.
    But you can do it.

    I also appreciated how you put the way you decided your plan will work: Its not about trying to convince someone that your way is better than theirs, or even the best. But its the right thing for you, and if you know that, you can do it! I've had to explain why our family is going gluten free(amongst other changes) if we're not really allergic. Its not just for a fad. We really feel better! Thanks for sharing, and for being a part of our family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are inspiring Joanne. You have your mindset right, which is the biggest challenge in my opinion. I'm excited to hear all about how you're feeling in the days and weeks and months to come. Thank you for sharing this, I'll be following :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can do it Joanne!! It look me 2 1/2 years to lose over 200 lbs. It's a total lifestyle change and along your journey you'll discover so many things about yourself that you never knew!! I can't wait to follow your journey!

    ReplyDelete