Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Starving

Starving is such an interesting word.  I think most would think of orphans in a third world country when that word comes to mind.  It is a little different for me.  Yesterday I decided to continue on my path and do better than the day before.  I have learned from a few mistakes on day 1, and proceeded to day 2.  The eating plan I am on allows for snacks throughout the day, so I did not feel any hunger pangs until about 8:30 PM last night.  All I could think about is I'm starving.  I looked at my food journal for the day (I am using MyFitnessPal and it is so easy to use on the computer, phone, tablet!) and realized I had eaten plenty.  I was not starving.  My mind wanted an evening treat.  You know that reward for making it through the day.  I could justify it too.  I have a very sick relative who will pass from this life any day.  I was given the opportunity to Skype with them and tell them "I love you" one last time.  The emotional toll of this event is still presenting itself today.  When I am sad I turn to rich creamy ice cream.  The starving person inside of me told me that everything would be okay if I just had a little ice cream.  We have frozen fudge bars in the freezer, and even the quick substitute of cool whip.  I have things right at my disposal (it may be time to clean out a bit...), but the truth of the matter is no amount of ice cream is going to fix the hurt I feel at the soon passing of this dear loved one.  I was really impressed with Beau because the day before I started my journey I told him that I couldn't do it - who starts a diet when so much sadness is present.  He told me that my dear loved one would want me to do what will make me a better me, and to not put this on hold.  Beau doesn't even really support the supplements I am taking right now, but still had that wisdom to help me realize that I need to make a change for me.  To make my life better.  My loved one would want that too.  I really married an awesome guy!

We had the Mormon Sister Missionaries over last night, and I made Taco Salad.  I served Taco Salad without sour cream (which seems like a cardinal sin...lol).  I offered the sisters flour tortillas to make their own tacos (Beau was grateful for this as well) instead of a salad if they preferred.  I had cheese on the table, but I didn't have any.  I was so grateful that I spent Tuesday evening prepping veggies.  Putting together the salad was a cinch.  I even made some homemade Pico de Gallo with tomatillos and tomatoes.  As I ate the salad I didn't miss the cheese at all.  I missed the sour cream, but I added some avocado which helped fulfill my need for creamy on my salad.  So I have overcome the dreaded - what do I do when guests come over and I am eating this way, feeling.  I didn't make a dessert, but I served pineapple with dinner so I felt my obligation for something sweet was fulfilled.  I drank water, but served Pink Lemonade.  I don't know that anyone noticed I was doing anything different, but I did. I knew that I was making the choice to put me first. 

I stepped on the scale this morning. I know 2 days into a lifestyle change is probably too soon to see any changes, but I did.  I have lost 6 pounds.  Don't worry this is pretty normal for me. I had someone tell me it has to do with my size.  I always lose a bit faster the first little bit of a change, and then things taper off to about 2-3 pounds a week.  I was so excited to see improvement.  I will probably wait another week before stepping on the scale again, but it was so exciting to see that the effort I was putting forth was helping!

Today is a new day full of possibility.  Hello world!  Let's do this!

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog post, again. You are such a talented writer. I love your determination and attitude. And I'm so happy you can see and feel the changes you're making! And glad that you've got Beau's support when you need it most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Jonanne! You can so this I know you can! You are so strong, stronger then you know! You are an example to so many and I miss you so much!! Love you and keep up on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete