Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Thursday, November 7, 2013

What my Momma taught me

You know it is funny to go on Facebook and see all of the "I'm thankful for..." during the month of November.  I have often thought about giving my daily "I'm thankful's," but it just really isn't my style.  Honestly I think of many things I am thankful for and then I don't actually vocalize them.  This is definitely one of my shortcomings.  I know better.  I decided that today I am going to share one of the things I am truly grateful for.  My mom.



I should tell you that my mom does not love this picture, but I do.  This was taken at our Sanders Family Reunion in 2008.  I had been married for one year.  One of the hardest I have ever survived (that is a blog post for another day).  My mom and I don't have to even say anything, and we know what the other is thinking.  I can read her expression here like a book.  I love this woman.

 Growing up I remember my mom always being there.  She was always there.  She would get us up in the morning and make our breakfast and lunch before school.  She taught us how to make our beds and pick up after ourselves.  When we came home from school she would be in the kitchen preparing dinner and helping us with our homework.  My mom taught me how to be scheduled and disciplined.  Now I will not lie, I hated everything being scheduled and I was vocal.  I tried to convince her to let me play or watch tv before doing the work, but she taught me work first, and then play.  This is such a great lesson. 

She taught me how to plan menu's and make meals.  I am a pretty awesome cook if I do say so myself, and everything I know I learned from my mother. 

My mother also taught me never to give up - even when something seems hard or impossible.  I remember in Second Grade I was assigned the task of making a heffalump or woozle (thank you Winnie the Pooh) and to right a story about it.  I spent a lot of time creating Crystal (yes I remember what I named it) and didn't create a good story.  My mom saw what I had written right before bed, and told me that I was getting up the next morning and re-writing the whole thing.  I was up and the ridiculous hour of 6:00 AM the next morning telling the tale of Crystal as my mom made breakfasts and lunches, and got herself ready for the day. 

My mom never stayed in her pajamas all day.  She to this day gets up every morning and prepares herself for whatever task is ahead of her. Even as she has aged and experienced those aches and pains of increasing years, she never quits.  She keeps going. 

I have also had the privilege of watching my mom develop her career.  My mom went to a little bit of college, but when the money wasn't there she went to work full time.  When she married my dad she continued to work even after she had me and took me to work with her to work (she was able to since she worked at her parents orthodontic lab).  When she had my younger sister she became a stay at home mom, but never did she act like she didn't have anything to do.  She worked in our classrooms, and helped us before and after school.  She made beautiful quilts and although she would never admit it, she is an amazingly talented crafter.  When my sister was school age my mom started working as a yard duty.  Then she earned the positions of lunch lady, librarian, FAME Coordinator (art program for my elementary school) and office assistant.  I watched over the years as she worked her way to becoming the Principal's Secretary.  She has also put in more hours than she had to in order to make sure that that kids she works with have the best chance of being successful at school. 

My mom never "half does" anything.  If she says she is going to do something, she does it.  Even if she doesn't want to or it makes her uncomfortable.  She is a woman that you can count on to do the job to the best of her ability. 

As I walked to the garage a few minutes ago, I passed my dinner cooking in the crockpot.  I thought to myself, I am so thankful my mom taught me how to cook.  I don't know how I would have ever survived without her.  The woman I am today is because of her.  She taught me to be honest and strong.  To never give up on myself, and to trust in the Lord.  We don't get to see each other as often as I would like, but whenever we are together it is as if we have only been apart a moment.  We just pick up where we left off.  When asked if I like living in Oregon, I always respond, "Yes, I just wish my family lived closer."

I love you mom.  I am thankful for you.  Thanks for being the woman that you are and for teaching me to become just like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment