Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Milestones

Well I cautiously weighed in on Monday to find that I had shed 1.2 more pounds!  This meant that I have lost over 20 pounds since starting WW, and I reached my 5% goal.  That means that I lost weight while celebrating three birthdays (one of which was my own) and Thanksgiving.  No small accomplishment.  Who wants to be cautious with Birthday cake?  NOT I!!  But I knew I was on the edge of reaching my 5%.  I had to do my best.

On the 26th I made Beau two of his three requested birthday desserts:  Orange Pop Cake and Better than Sex Cake.  My house smelled heavenly.  I had planned a surprise party for him at his parents house where we would also be enjoying Double Bacon Cheeseburgers.  Needless to say everything was super healthy... I was slicing tomatoes and onions for the burgers when I decided that I needed to try out my mandolin slicer.  So, I pulled it out and prepared to be amazed.  What was truly shocking was the amount of blood that comes out from the tip of one's newly sliced off finger.  No doctor's were needed, but lets just say that tears were shed.  Somehow I made it to the Party mostly in tact and prepared myself for the feast ahead.  I limited myself to one burger, no bacon or mayo, with lots of veggies (even though my self pity was fighting desperately to eat Eat EAT!!).  I even indulged in a piece of cake.  The evening was nice and I didn't go over on my points.

Wednesday was my birthday.  Somehow the day seemed sad at first.  I struggled to be happy and positive.  But I decided to put on my happy face.  My nieces, mother in law, and sister in law, and husband's grandma threw a tea party for me, and even made sure the food was prepared in a way to maximize my points.  It was amazing.  So much yummy healthy food!  Beau let me choose where I wanted to go for dinner, and I selected Red Lobster.  Mmm sea food.  It was soooooooo good.  I had my points calculated exactly so I could appropriately indulge in my dinner and dessert.  Still, I stayed within my points for the day.

Thursday I spent the morning cooking the Turkey, Stuffing, and a veggie dip for Thanksgiving dinner.  I had a lot of fun preparing the food.  It reminded me why I love cooking.  We had dinner at Beau's parents home surrounded by family and friends.  The day was lovely.  I again stayed within my points.

Friday I went to Ikea with my sister in law and nieces.  I found healthy food for lunch at Ikea, and had a wonderful time.  The last time I went to Ikea the trip was really hard for me.  All of the walking was taxing on my body and I was very tired by the end.  I walked all over the store, and didn't even get a cart to lean on (never skipped that before).  We walked out of there with smiles on our faces (and my pockets just a little lighter).  I felt so proud of how far I had come.

Saturday we went shopping.  When my mother in law invited me the initial response that came to mind was "I better not, I won't be able to keep up."  But then I decided to go.  I deserve to have the life I want.  So we went to Walmart, the Woodburn Outlets, Washington Square Mall, and Toys'R'Us.  The only thing that was hard about all the walking were my tired feet from wearing the wrong shoes.  I was able to walk all day.  It was such an amazing feeling to not feel so limited.  I could be social and not embarrassed.  I tried a new kind of food at the mall: Greek food.  It was so yummy - and healthy.  I had a wonderful salad with a light vinaigrette, rice, and this amazing meat.  I also experienced Tzatziki sauce. mmmm  Even thought I was watching what I was consuming, I fully enjoyed that meal.  I think the most exciting moment though was when I went to the Outlets.  We had gone into this cute kids clothing store.  I had finished looking around and came outside to wait for everyone.  My mother in law pointed out that Lane Bryant was right next door.  she asked if I was going to go look.  I have been meaning to go inside and try on the pants that didn't fit anymore, but had been nervous.  So, I gathered my courage and walked in.  I grabbed the jeans, and headed for the fitting room.  I carefully tried them on full expecting to not get them around my hips much less zipped and buttoned - but they did. I won't lie, they were a bit tight, but I did not have to lay down or anything to get them to zip and button.  EUREKA!!  I did it.  They didn't have the cut I wanted in the store, so I will be ordering online.  What an amazing accomplishment.  I almost cried.  So I will be crafting my new outfit, and then I will model it once it arrives.  I am no Heidi Klum, but I am proud of getting to this point.  There is still many more milestones ahead.  I am excited.  Bring it on.

Sunday I think I could have eaten the entire world.  It was like there was no satisfying my hunger.  I wanted MORE!!!  I reigned it in, and finished the day strong.  Monday I went into work and waited somewhat impatiently for my meeting.  Finally when the time came I very cautiously stepped on the scale.  I was so happy.  I had made my goal.  I did it!!

So I think I experienced several great milestones this last week.  I celebrated a birthday, conquered a fear, and lost weight.  Every day is a new trial and I will take them one at a time.  But there is so much to be thankful for and to celebrate.

I have been doing some thinking this week about how my thinking has changed since I started this whole process.  At first I was fighting my self all the time, and now the choices are becoming more and more natural.  I don't have to convince myself so much to make the healthier choice.  I am even allowing myself to consider the possibility of actually being a mom.  My body is not ready yet, but I am working hard to prepare my body to carry a child.  We looked at a house to rent on Tuesday.  It is so much bigger than our home now, and will allow room to grow.  It was kind of fun to think that house may be the one I bring a little one home to.  It will be awhile, and that is okay.  If I lost the weight overnight I wouldn't appreciate it.  Also, I am learning how to take care of my body for life.  I am not making changes just for now, but for the rest of my life.  I am learning how to live healthy so when I have a family I will be able to keep up with them and enjoy their little spirits full of energy.

I was thinking about Christmas today and how much more fun Christmas is with children.  Yesterday we said goodbye to Beau's sister, Tiffany, as she left for Wisconsin.  Her family is relocating.  This means the two sweet girls that I have sleepovers with and pony parties will be a lot farther away.  This especially hit me hard for the Christmas season as we enjoyed their company last year decorating our home, Christmas Tree, and celebrating the Christmas season.  Thank Heavens that Beau's brother Brigham, and his wife Debra, and their sweet family will still be able to spend the holidays with us.  I don't know how I would survive without them.  They truly bring so much joy and happiness to Beau and I.  Oh December, you came so quickly this year - just like every other year!

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME Joanne!!. Congratulations and keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to be missing you, too. Not just at the holidays, especially then. I'm so glad you kept yourself accountable through your perfect storm, but also managed to have fun and eat good food and make memories!

    ReplyDelete