Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Monday, March 24, 2014

The Things that make me Happy

Over the weekend I worked hard to put my bedroom and living room together.  My husband's cousin, Jessica, suggested that I work on unpacking my sleeping area as it is important to have a relaxing place to go to at the end of the day.  Such good advice!  I spent several hours cleaning dressers, folding clothes, and organizing.  As I looked at my room I felt a huge wave of relief sweep over me and I love this room more than I have loved one of our master bedrooms before.  (Huge sigh of relief).  I still need to put a permanent window treatment, but other than that my room is complete.  On Sunday I worked to organize the living room.  I am almost there, but not quite.  I unpacked all of our movies since I never unpacked them in our last house, and I constantly wished they were easy to look through when I wanted to watch a movie.  We have built in bookshelves in our living room, so it made it very convenient to organize my movies in an easily accessible location.  It really is the little things sometimes.  The records are all unpacked as well.  Aahhh, so glad that it is starting to look like we live here!

I have some pictures and chotskies that I need to place.  I also want to refinish some furniture.  You know, just some small projects :)  I also need to figure out the other two bedrooms and how I want to purpose and organize them.  Beau says they are the same size, but I think that one is definitely bigger than the other.  I guess this is a problem only a tape measure could truly solve!

On Saturday we had a fish fry at Beau's parents house with his oldest brother and his family, his next oldest brother who was visiting for a business trip, and Beau's maternal grandma and grandpa.  I made a salad and a dessert in my "new" kitchen for the event.  It was wonderful working in my clean and organized kitchen.  I will be honest that both of the recipes were very simple, but it was still nice to be able to have room to prepare food.  We enjoyed visiting with family, and seeing our cute little nephews.  They are growing up so much every time we see them (which is usually about once a month!).  It makes me realize how much our other nieces and nephews grow in between visits.  I would ask them to stop growing, but since my oldest niece is 16, and seems to not be willing to stop growing, I assume none of the others will comply.

At church yesterday I was asked to sub in the class of seven 4 year-olds.  They were energetic and so cute, but man did they make me tired.  I asked them if they thought the baptismal font in the church looked like a large bathtub and they said no, and then proceeded to tell me how many bathrooms each of their homes had.  When I asked them what immersion was, they told me an emergency.  Pretty much the most interesting conversation that I have ever had in regards to baptism.  Our ward is really neat because the children in our ward are combined with the Spanish branches children.  So we sang hymns in both English and Spanish.  What a special experience to feel the spirit as these sweet children sang the words in both languages.

So as I go into my clean room to find an outfit without searching the floor or the laundry baskets, and go into the kitchen and easily prepare a bite to eat, or go into the living room and select a movie, I smile.  I look at all I have and realize I am immensely blessed.  There is so much to be thankful and grateful for.  There are so many things that make me happy.

Wonderful quote on being happy

2 comments:

  1. Yay for gaining control of your spaces (and by extension, your life)! Our bedroom here is the most peaceful we've had. The only electronics in it are the ipads and our phones-no laptops, no TV, no DVD storage (visible...I think John has under-the-bed storage bins with them). It's really become my retreat to feel calm and put together. I didn't ever realize how badly I needed that until moving here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne, I just got the chance to read your post. I am so happy that your new home is becoming everything that you dreamed of. I bet your are noticing that as you are loving your home, your home is loving you back. Homes, like people, respond to what you put into them. Kudos and keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete