Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Curve Balls and other hard stuff

Lately I have been a complainer.  Which is totally hypocritical because I get annoyed by some of the Facebook posts I see where people complain.  Yesterday Beau came home from work and I told him that I was really frustrated, but I knew he didn't want to hear it.  He was really patient, and asked me to explain.  I whined about ants (AGAIN!!), and the paint job on the house.  How I felt like so many things are going wrong with our current living situation.  Then I was humbled.  Beau told me there is a lot of good things in our house.  For instance, our cost for gas and transportation has significantly dropped.  Our power bill is nothing compared to what it used to be.  We no longer have to pay city water or sewer, or trash.  Beau can come home for lunch which means the days I work from home we see each other, and all around he is able to save money because he doesn't eat out as often.  The shop we have is perfect for him to work on his projects, and the extra bedroom is great to have a permanent place for guests.  He reminded me that although there is much that still needs work, we are in a better place then we were when we lived in Silverton.

Now when I say I get annoyed by some Facebook posts, I really mean only a few.  I think the ones that bother me the most are the ones that complain continually and never try to find the good or positive in their lives curve balls.  You know what life doesn't always turn out the way we hope or expect.  Even if we do everything right the rain will fall and storms will come.  We must find the good in all of life's frustrations and set backs.

Surround myself with as many positive people and experiences as I can, while training myself to see the good and the beauty in everything and everyone

Now as ants fall on my head or crawl on my leg I will admit seeing the good is difficult, which is why I try to surround myself with people that help me see it when I cannot.  We are not here on Earth alone.  Each of us have friends, family, pets, etc.  that can warm our hearts and remind us of what matters most.  So you didn't get the job you wanted, or life is not allowing you take the easy road?  What can you do?  What is good.  If you can't find anything you are not looking hard enough, or you are not creating an environment conducive to finding the good.  I know this may sound harsh, but I am yet to find a trial or hardship in my life that was without a silver lining.  That doesn't mean it was enjoyable or easy.  Just that if we forget life is good then I think we are missing the point.

A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh alot, and realize how blessed you are.

5 comments:

  1. You're always so good at helping me see my silver linings, too! Although, ants falling on my head were what I told John would be the last straw for me...so I truly hope you don't have that happen for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have actually had ants fall on my head. It is uber disturbing, and totally grosses me out!

      Delete
  2. You are a wonder! You will win this ant war! And I see you as a person who does look for the silver lining! As I sat at church Sunday, I had an awareness of my own negativity. I am determined to be more positive. Your post is very helpful to my new pursuit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I learned last summer to put out the ant baits, I have not seen ants since.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joanne, you remind me of one of my favorite roommates I had in Virginia. She told me that she used to harbor ill feelings towards her parents and held a lot of animosity towards them. Then she realized that only she is in control of her behavior and thinking. As soon as she decided to focus on the positive things of her relationship with her parents, then overall the relationship got stronger. Her parents responded by their relationship between each other getting stronger as well as the relationship they had with their other daughter. The final result?? The whole family's relationship healed and as they all focused on the positive attributes that each other had to offer, rather then the negative.

    I forget this lesson myself so thank you for reminding me. Focus on the positive part of life and relationships. Don't focus on the negative, because it brings all the good stuff down too. Life is too short. Just when you think you have it bad, there is always someone that you know that is suffering worse.

    Remember, although ants are yucky, they are amazing little creatures. You may not appreciate them in your house, but appreciate how prefect their family and community structure is. We could only dream of living as perfect of a life as an ant does.

    ReplyDelete