Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Friday, April 18, 2014

Let's talk about food.

Since I found out I was pregnant the goal to lose weight was put on hold.  The doctor told me to focus on maintaining weight, and trying to gain no more than 9 pounds this pregnancy.  I am going to come right out and say I have already gained the 9 pounds.  Not because I am a glutton for punishment, but because I lost focus.  For very understandable reasons (we live in a very law suit happy world) Weight Watchers does not allow pregnant women to continue with their program.  So I lost access to my support system for healthy eating.  On a side note, I really miss them.  I needed to figure out a way to eat healthy and balanced without my online tools and weekly weigh ins.  So, I figured I am a smart person, I will just wing it.  So we moved and my kitchen was not unpacked, and then when it was there was this issue with mice and ants that made the desire to cook rather small.  Eating out was easier than disinfecting my kitchen before and after every meal.  Time for a course correction.

Today I meat with a registered dietitian.  We spoke about healthy eating, and she didn't teach me anything I didn't already know.  She gave me guidelines to eat by that will help control weight gain during pregnancy.  As I walked away from the appointment I found myself getting mad.  I was mad that I had to do things her way.  I was mad that I don't have all the resources I had on Weight Watchers.  I was mad that this diet is more restrictive than what I was doing before I got pregnant and lost over 65 pounds.  I am still a little bitter.  What can I say.  I am human.
President Dieter F. Uchtdorf | Popular quotes from April 2014 LDS general conference | Deseret News
Now to turn things around.  I am so grateful that I have this little miracle inside of me.  With each day I am one day closer to meeting my little one and holding him or her in my arms.  So I have to change the way I eat and approach food.  This is not a horrible thing.  I am grateful that I have others looking out for me so that when this is all said and done I will  be able to work on my healthy lifestyle changes having gained the least amount of weight possible.  I am grateful that making smart choices now may help prevent me from having gestational diabetes, or if I do get it the transition will not be as difficult to make.

So you may be asking yourself, what is this eating plan I am complaining about?  Well it is just focusing on whole grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy, low fat dairy, and lean protein.  Not too complicated, right?  Technically that is correct.  I think I just was very spoiled with Weight Watchers because if I wanted to splurge all I had to do was account for the points.  Since splurging is not built into this program I felt like I have no wiggle room and then plan is too stiff.  The truth is, this is how I was eating before.  The splurges were not that often, and they can still happen.  I just need to eat balanced and portion control.

So call it hormones run a muck, or just being tired at the end of a long week, but I think I have found my peace with food.  I am going to make a shopping list, and enjoy good healthy food.  I will also smile because I have a person growing inside of me which makes all of this worth while.  I will be able to go back to the things that were more comfortable soon enough.  Besides this summer I am sure I will be glad that I haven't put on any more weight than necessary.  I am already having moments of being extremely warm and it is April!


3 comments:

  1. I am sorry you hit such an emotional low over the things the dietician told you. And I'm super sorry you have lost your WW community for now! I know you thrived with their support. But this post is, once again, such an awesome example of your constant ability to find the good, look for the silver lining and turn a situation around in your mind. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS-I think it's time for you to swap your MFP ticker for a baby ticker!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne! I miss you too... But, be well my new friend and be healthy for your amazing new life ahead!

    ReplyDelete