Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Saturday, September 21, 2013

Short Grain Brown Rice

The morning of Day 5 brings us to Saturday.  Saturday's are for sleeping in, and lounging around the house, right?  No, not here.  No rest for the wicked...lol... I went to bed last night after learning that my dear loved one had passed from this world.  His passing was quiet, but the effect he had on all of those who new him will ever resound in our hearts.  I miss him, but I am so grateful his suffering is over.  This morning I woke up with memories of the times I shared with him, and could not get back to sleep.  Although this passing is hard, I would not trade this heartache for even one of my cherished memories.  This dear loved one is my maternal Grandfather. 

My Grandpa was one of the most important men I have had the privilege of knowing.  He was a man who never gave up.  There was no challenge too great for him.  After having a stroke and losing much of the function of one side of his body he was asked why he didn't complain or stop trying.  His reply was simple, in the Air Force you learned to do what needs to be done with the resources you have.  You adapt.  My Grandpa was a wonderful example of charity and love.  When he was with you he made you feel like you were the most important person in the world to him.  When I was a little girl my mom worked with my Grandpa in his Orthodontics lab.  She would bring me to work, and apparently I was a little mischievous.  Grandpa had a tube of Chapstick he kept in his drawer for soldering, and my three year old little self would go in and steal that Chapstick and put it all over my lips.  He tried to convince me not to use that tube, but I was stubborn.  He instead bought a brand new tube of Chapstick for me to use to my hearts content, and then he hid the other tube.  As a child he would take us fishing on his boat at Lake Almanor.  I never caught anything worth bragging about, but he would happily take me out again when I requested.  As a teen he took me fishing on the ocean.  One trip in particular we filled a 50 gallon ice chest with Snapper.  The chest was so full I wasn't sure how he would get it to the dock to clean.  When we fished for Salmon, he would let me reel in all of the fish because he knew I thought it was fun.  These are just a few of the memories I have with this wonderful man.  My last memory was Skyping with him on Wednesday.  He could not talk well, but he told me twice "I love you."  What words cannot express was shown through his eyes.  I will miss this man every day, but I am so glad that his pain is over. 

About my journey...

I have been continuing my journey of self improvement.  I couldn't wait to step on the scale again, so this morning I found I have lost another 6 pounds.  I am down a total of 12 pounds.  Again, I realize this is a lot to lose in a few days, but it is not unheard of for me when changing my eating habits.  I can contribute some of the success to the supplements I have been taking.  The first part of this challenge is an herbal cleanse.  I am enjoying most of the foods I eat, and some I am enduring.  I would not consider myself a picky eater, but there are definitely fruits and veggies that I prefer more than others.  One of the things I was most nervous about was giving up my white rice, pasta, and white bread.  I have discovered some yummy alternatives.  At Costco they have short grain brown rice which I actually think is yummier that the Cal Rose rice that I love.  I have also discovered a 12 Multi-grain English Muffin which tastes so yummy and fulfilling with just a little raspberry jam (no butter is a huge sacrifice typically, but not in this case).  I have also started experimenting with Quinoa and I have to say I am a fan.  I still haven't had any pastas.  That is one food that is really hard for me to portion control, and I have not found a wheat pasta that I liked as much as normal linguini.  So I guess I am picky.  I want food that is yummy! 



 I have once heard that changing eating habits is so hard because food is not like other harmful substances .  You can't just stop eating.  An alcoholic can still live without alcohol and a drug addict can still live without their drugs.  But if I stop eating I will not live for long.  Learning to control what I eat is the only way to overcome my health issues.  Although I cannot stop eating, I can stop going to fast food restaurants where I am tempted to choose the worst item on the menu.  I can stop walking down the chip, cookie, and ice cream isles in the grocery store where I always walk away with much more that I intend.  I can fill my fridge and pantry with healthy eating options.  Last night as my 8:30 PM craving for a Butterfinger Blizzard started singing in my mind, I reminded myself that I am detoxing from all the crap I have been putting in my body.  It is normal to crave them.  I just cannot give into the craving.

"Where there is no struggle, there is no strength." Oprah Winfrey

I am becoming strong, one struggle at a time. 


1 comment:

  1. Joanne, you are becoming my inspiration! Thanks for the food suggestions!

    ReplyDelete