Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Toilet Paper, Acupuncture, and Weight Gain

What do these three things have in common?  I am going to write about them - that's what!

Back last July I measured myself to see exactly where I was in regards to measurement not just weight.  I was half heartedly startling a cleanse and hoping that by some miracle that just putting forth the smallest amount of effort I would see drastic results.  Shockingly I did not.  Well I lost that piece of paper, and when I was packing last week it turned up again.  I had hid it so no one could find it (apparently including myself).  I realized that back in July I weighed 2 more pounds than I did in September, and I retook my measurements to discover I have lost 16 inches.  I thought this was a very small number considering the fact that I have lost 50 pounds.  I was discouraged.  Then I thought about toilet paper.  When you pull out a brand new roll of toilet paper it seems to not get smaller for a long time.  The size of the squares are equal, yet the rate in which the toilet papers circumference decreases is not.  That small square does not make as big of a difference when the roll is full compared to when the roll is almost empty.  I compared this to my body.  I am a large person, so the pounds coming off will not have as dramatic an effect in the beginning as they will down the road.  I do not need to despair.  Although strange and a bit septic, this analogy helped me come to terms with another aspect of my journey.  Ah, peace is restored once again.

Yesterday I went in for my very first ever acupuncture appointment.  I was really excited until about lunch when the realization sunk in and I became nervous.  What was I thinking?  I drove over to the doctor's office, and put my big girl panties on and found some courage.  I have several things that acupuncture can help with (apparently), but my main concern is my neck and back pain.  I feel like the limitations it places on my life are no longer acceptable.  As the acupuncturist walked me through the procedure I was calmed and reassured.  I came out feeling a bit sore (apparently it works your muscles), but a lot less tense.  I could feel a huge difference in my muscles that way.  Also, I was really not excited about needles being placed all over my body.  The needles are so small that if I felt anything it would be a small pinch that would quickly go away.  So, I will be going back next week for another appointment.  I am not 100% sold yet, but I am not deterred so I will keep going for now.

Now for the accountability moment.  I gained weight.  Last week I ate according to plan, but was not as careful about eating my fruits and veggies and complex carbs.  I feel this impacted my weight gain, but not to the degree that I gained.  For the last couple of months (only on Mondays) I have started to starve and dehydrate myself in preparation of my weigh in.  This resulted in a very unhappy me, and as I thought more about this decision I realized that I cannot live every week this way.  It makes Monday dreadful, and I really need my weigh ins to be a positive experience.  So I gathered my strength and accepted the weight gain potential and drank all the water I wanted, and I had a very satisfying lunch.  When I stepped on the scale and saw the 2.4 pound increase I was only slightly disappointed.  I actually felt really proud of myself for allowing this positive change in my routine.  Since this is a life change I need it to be sustainable.  Next week I will be able to continue eating and drinking my water and will not have to worry about the effect on my weight loss because I already took the hit.  Monday night Beau and I went out to dinner and I indulged on chips and salsa.  I tracked everything when I was done, and felt really happy that I had allowed myself the indulgence and lived through it.  Yesterday was business as usual, and I feel more energized to keep going.

We moved over the weekend.  It was not fun!  Things were looking fairly bleak until the youth in my church showed up with their families and went to work.  Not only did they get my house packed, but they also helped me clean.  I have never accepted help to clean a home during a move, but I have never been so grateful for service in my life.  There is one last load of a couple odds and ends that will be retrieved today, and then the move-out will be complete.  We still have the move-in to our new place to worry about, but it is not ready yet, so in the meantime we will be staying with Beau's parents.  I am so grateful for their generosity in letting us stay here as we wait for our place.  I don't know what we would do without them!

So that is what is going on.  Nothing too exciting here, but life is good.  I feel truly blessed to have good friends and family who love and support us .

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Joanne! You inspire me! I look forward to seeing you each week and getting to know you better! And guess what, I'll probably become a regular here. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing you each week as well! Stop by here anytime :)

      Delete
  2. I typed a long response last week and then lost it...finally getting back over here. I'm proud of you for making some routine changes to make Monday weigh-ins a more positive experience, and a more true-to-life reflection of your progress! And look at that ticker-it worked! You lost and you know it's a "real" loss that isn't due to dehydration or hunger! Love the TP analogy (you're truly and Alcorn now, bringing it all back to the toilet paper).

    ReplyDelete