Vintage Background

MyFitnessPal

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

The Great Binge

Yesterday around 2:30 PM I caved.  I have had sciatic pain for the last week and a half.  I had to cancel Bunco with friends due to weather.  I am living out of boxes and suitcases.  I wanted to feel comfortable.  I returned to an old friend.  Not a friend that gives you strength to keep going.  I visited a friend who lets you justify all of the wrong choices.  You know the one I am talking about.  The one that tells you that everything will be okay if you just let your guard down for one minute.  The one that is a liar.  A thief of all things good and positive.  And I returned to the one thing that always feels good.  Food.

It started with just one WW snack bar.  It tasted good, and I justified a second, and then more.  I just couldn't get enough.  I needed more.  The more I ate, the worse I felt inside.  I knew I needed to stop, but that little liar in my head said that if I have just one more everything will fix itself.  When I finally stopped I had consumed 2 bags of WW Popped Cinnamon Swirl Crisps, 6 WW Mint Cookie Crisp mini bars, 4 WW Chocolate Pretzel Blast Bars, and 1 WW Marshmallow Brownie Crunch Bar.  That is a total of 24 WW PointsPlus.  I was defeated.  I also had a tummy ache.

I decided that I had ruined everything.  I had wasted the last 5 months killing myself to have it all ruined in one afternoon of self doubt and pity.  We had a wonderful stir fry dinner, and I hid my disappointment in myself.  After dinner Beau asked if I would take a drive with him, and I spilled my guts.  I thought he would be disappointed or mad at me.  He told me that I had returned to what felt comfortable.  Just like any other addict would.  He told me then that I told myself the lies that made me feel safe in hiding my error.  And just like any other addict hiding would not fix my problem.  So, I brushed it off.  What was done was done.  I could not remove the error without causing harm to my body, so the necessary response was a correction to my path.  I decided to make a plan so today would be better.

I had oatmeal and fruit for breakfast with nonfat milk.  For lunch I ordered Chicken, vegetables, and brown rice from my favorite Thai restaurant (by work).  On my way home from work I stopped by the grocery store and grabbed some things that would be appropriate snacks, and binge proof.  I purchased a bunch of bananas, 3 pears, and 3 oranges.  I have already eaten one banana.  I am taking back my power to chose what will and will not happen in my weight loss journey.  So I stumbled.  I picked myself back up and am correcting my course.  I am also acknowledging that I am human.  I gave in, and I learned from it.  The food did not make me feel more comfortable.  It did not remove my back pain.  It only increased my internal struggle.

So there.  I am letting it all hang out.

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing Joanne. I felt the spirit while reading this and I know God is on your side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last paragraph shows what you're truly made of, who you are. You binged. You went back to what was comfortable. But you turned it around. How many times in the past have you done that and let it derail you and actually undo everything you had done up until then? Not this time. Winning! I'm so glad you have Beau there able to encourage you and say the right things when you need to hear them.

    ReplyDelete